I think there would need to be something with a form or 2 and some
tables to hold useful data, along with email and form flow/routing
capabilities ?

A help desk in the sense of "hey, my mouse isn't working, can someone
from the helpdesk come and fix it?"

my 2 cents,
Mart

something like this (but probably better)

db.define_table('ITMembers',
          Field('name'),format='%(name)s')

'''--- if large IT dept, Which uit of IT
       hepdesk, server services, etc... ---'''
db.define_table('ITteam',
          Field('name'),format='%(name)s')

'''--- desktop/user issue, server outage,
            network breakage, etc...  ---'''
db.define_table('hdCategory',
          Field('name'),format='%(name)s')

'''--- SUBMISSION FORM & REQUEST TRACKING ---'''
db.define_table('hdTicket',
                Field('ticketnumber',length=64, default=uuid.uuid4()),
                Field('description', 'text'),
                Field('created_on',default=request.now),
                Field('completed_on',default=request.now),
                Field('modified_on','datetime'),
                Field('created_by',db.auth_user,default=auth.user_id),

Field('assigned_to',db.ITteam),
                Field('category',db.hdCategory),
                Field('status',requires = IS_IN_SET(['not started',
                                                     'started',
                                                     'in progress',
                                                     'blocked',

'done'])),
                Field('summary',text),
                Field('description','text'),
                Field('date_logged','datetime'),
                Field('priority',requires = IS_IN_SET(range(0,5)),
default=1),
                Field('attachement','upload'),
                Field('newInfo','text'),
                Field('requiresHardware',db.parts),