I believe the 'high road' comment would be better directed towards
those making unreasonable, false statements.

In the heat of the moment,  Massimo did concede that it 'bothers'
him.  Such 'outbursts' are rather uncharacteristic, so we can assume
he was somewhat displeased.  Can we allow that without too much nit-
picking? I hope so.