I have stated several times that Massimo should be very careful in
advocating for Web2py.  I'm still holding this opinion.  But I won't
elaborate on this.

About the facebook clone.  I do not see anything offensive about this
video.  I thought it's pretty good.  But it can be improved.  How?

Well, Facebook, Reddit, etc. are quite trivial applications in terms
of functionality and features.  But Facebook doesn't work perfectly
and Reddit fails once every other day.  Why?   The answer is
Scalability!!!!   These applications are hard to build to withstand a
tremendously large user base.

Here's my suggestion.  I remember Massimo did a Reddit clone once.
Let's redo this.  This will be a hit if done right (the political
climate is right :-)).

The Reddit clone should show these:

1. Expressiveness and conciseness of Web2py.
2. Exhibition of included batteries: form, authentication, permission,
DAL and CRUD.
3. Scalability.

There are many frameworks that will take 2 of these 3 items.  A good
microframework will take 1 and 3 easily.  I think Web2py can leverage
itself to take all 3 items.

Items 1+2 can be easily shown.

But item 3 will take a thoughtful experimental design to show.  And it
might cost some money (but probability not much).    Item 3
encapsulates many practical aspects, including deployment.  Possibly,
choose a fast server like nginx, fine tune the set up to produce
optimal results.  And if possible, set up a scenario multiple
replicated databases.

I believe this demonstration will be far better than the mere words of
advocacy for web2py.  The benefits are multi-fold and will affect new
comers and current users (many of whom, I think, are still struggling
or at least tweaking with optimal, scalable deployment of web2py
apps).

Nobody expects that this Reddit clone will replace Reddit (for
instance).   Fortunately (or unfortunately), not many real apps will
have the "problem" of breaking Reddit frequently is having.  But, many
people will jump in if they see that Web2py is productive, easy and
able to build decently scalable apps.