Hi Carlos

>> I will follow your advice about picking a strong password and
>> changing the default 22 port - would this be enough?.

Well, is there ever enough security?  All I can say is that it has
been good enough for my modest security requirements. Oh,  I think I
also limited the ssh access to two IP ranges. It still does not feel
good to log on as root, but that is my trade-off for convenience.  You
will have to make your own judgements.

Emergency access to files:  I have an FTP server available on the
server (again on a non-standard port) which I start up whenever I need
to fiddle around.  I very seldom use it,  but on occasions it is
helpful.