Hi Ross,

Thanks for the links. I have seen mixed reports, certainly in the more
distant past, but as I said my experience since Hardy (8.04) has been
very good.

On May 18, 5:03 pm, Ross Peoples <ross.peop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My own personal experience it with it a couple years was terrible. It
> destroyed several systems that needed to be rebuilt because webmin messed
> them up so bad. But again, I don't know if this has changed or not.

Well, from my PoV it has!

A couple of cautions though: -

- Webmin/Virtualmin need a clean, freshly installed system as a
starting point. If there is any configuration work done before
installing them, I'd expect problems.

- When I started out with my production hosting I had very limited
linux-fu, and needed to use  Webmin/Virtualmin to work safely (e.g. I
was a bigger risk than they were!), and so I set things up to do
everything apart from my narrow specialty (then the care and feeding
of Zope and Plone) using the web interface, and have been very
conservative about changing that.

I would recommend them without hesitation to anyone in the same
predicament as I was a couple of years back (an application developer
with limited Linux sysadmin skills), but since you are effectively
delegating your sysadmin load to that s/w in that case, it's important
to be careful and test your understanding of what you can do by hand.
In my case, there is an additional apache .conf file where all my
Zope, Plone and web2py config lives, and that is pretty much the only
thing I manage by hand, other than my Zope/Plone instances which I
install to /opt and Webmin leaves well alone.

My suggestion to the OP would be to fire up a VM and test the
alternatives - but I'd include Webmin as one of those alternatives.

HTH!

--

Cheers,

PhilK