To make a long story short : it works now!

I ran the ubuntu.sh script, and it installed a lot of stuff
(still had to instal python-tk manually)

tried to run admin, still got errors.

Looked at the error log in admin/errors, and compared the
file that it said had a syntax error -- it was very different
from the same file on my working debian  system!!!

So somehow, my ubuntu install of web2py was seriously screwed up!

Re-installing it from a new download of web2py_src.zip has
everything working now!!!

Thanks to you both for the help and support!!!

Luis.
(PS, I come from a Matlab background, and am just now
 switching to python. The learning curve is not too steep,
 and I can already see the power of python!!!
 I'm building a website, and GAE + web2py seemed
 like the best choice. web2py is awesome!!!)