the rule is that we promise backward compatibility except when we need fix a
security vulnerability. until we setup a page dedicated to this, make sure you
read the changelog ( not just of the current release but all the releases in
between the one you upgrade from to the one you upgrade to). Usually backward
incompatible issues (if known) are prominently highlighted.