Thanks for all the feedback from everyone.

For the json cpp libraries, I find that jsoncpp looks unpolished with
outstanding bugs (it is still advertised as Beta) and it is a hassle
to install (you have to install some Python modules just to read the
documentation).

Cajun looked more polished and minimalistic (a positive trait), but it
also looks abandoned and doesn't seem to have an entry point as far as
documentation goes.

I'll look at them a bit longer, but at this point I'm inclined to take
a look at the c libraries instead.