I submitted a ticket at webfaction, this is their reply:

"That is correct, this does not completely prevent the problem from
recurring.
Using a static-only symlink app is just a step in helping with the
memory
usage. In order to solve the memory issue, you would need to find the
root
cause of the memory usage. You can do this by following the steps
outlined
here: http://docs.webfaction.com/software/general.html?highlight=memory
%20usage#reducing-memory-usage

Using Nginx+uwsgi may reduce your memory usage, but it will involve
some
experimentation with your application. If you want to try installing
Nginx+uwsgi, I would create a new application and try the
installation
following the steps outlined in that community post. This way you can
still have
your existing site online while you are install the new uwsgi
application. The
technologies are similar, but uwsgi is newer and has been known to use
less
memory."

Annet.