I have finally figured out the cause of my problem, though not why
there was inconsistency in behavior with some computed fields updating
and others not.  I was putting writable=false and readable=false on
the computed fields in my model.  I'm not sure why I thought this was
correct usage; it makes sense that readable=false might be needed to
prevent the field from being displayed in forms, but given that the
form won't show the field, writable=false would be unnecessary.
It seems that neither writable=false nor readable=false is needed for
computed fields, they appear to be automatically not displayed in
SQLFORM and CRUD.  Readable=false causes no harm but writable=false
*MAY* cause the field to not be recomputed on update, though it will
be computed on record creation.  This behavior is still present in the
nightly build.
The book could use some clarification in this area!
David