I started web building 2 years ago, i have a full time job in
Automobile Insurance, and limited time at home to learn.  Your
question seems to indicate that you don't have any knowledge of HTML,
CSS or Javascript/jQuery? forgive me if I am wrong, but if that is the
case you definitely need to start there, especially CSS.   It did not
take me very long to get very good at creating great looking static
webpages with dynamic javascript/jQuery.  However I have struggled a
lot with the database and server side of things.  With the recent help
of Anthony explaining how to properly create forms and query the
information I am looking for, I am flying along with the creation my
music website.

The best web books that have helped me in my 2 year process are:

Web2py book (just started web2py 5 months ago)
CSS 3.0 the missing manual
jQuery in action 2nd edition
(i would mention python books, but you already know Python which is
huge)

I also want to mention that having Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator are
huge, when it comes to getting the website to look really nice.  In
fact it is nearly a must have when it comes to creating 100%
professional sites, if not them something that does something similar
to what they do.  Although they are the best when it comes to
Photoshop.

By the way, long live Python & Web2py, i love the this framework more
than any other. I have spent time with Django, Zend, CodeIgniter, Yii
and Catalyst, Web2py is the best, period.

I hope that i can build a game changing application that puts Web2py
at the top of the list for web frameworks.  alright.. back to work
now.

chawk