I am reading this over and over... "a == b is a boolean". I know what
you mean but it may be confusing to other users so I will clarify.
It is a boolean when a and b have values, else it is just an
expression. In dal, "a==b" is a query (an expression) that is
evaluated on every record and if it returns true the record is
selected (not unlike SQL).

So in

db(a == b).select() or the proposed (a==b).select()

(a==b) does not return a boolean.

Massimo