I am not sure if web2py has a feature for that. You can still redirect
output to a filelike object during controller processing and on exit
return the control to the original handler. That way you could extract
the output from the file object to append it to the web2py response

Pseudo-code:

on controller start

# create obj
# send all stdout to obj
# return dict with obj content as message or another name to be
processed by a web2py view