> Many thanks, Jonathan, Anthony. I didn't realize the HTTP return value
> (200 vs. 300 etc.) might actually make a difference in the execution of the
> Location argument. Again, I must go back and look even more closely at the
> HTTP source and auth source.

Note, this is not an issue with how the web2py HTTP() class works. This is
simply how browsers deal with response codes. A response code of 200 means
OK, so does not prompt the browser to redirect. If you want the browser to
redirect, you have to send a 3xx code (or use Javascript to change the
window.location, as already suggested).
See http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html.

Anthony