i use GAE heavily....the biggest reason to not use GAE is if you want an
app that does complex queries - you just can't do complex queries and
roll-ups on GAE.  there are other freedoms that EC2 give you that if you
have the IT support to run them it might be worth it.  i am wrestling with
that daily with my largest used app.