My understanding is that the themes are all contained in a new
bootstrap.css, or bootstrap.min.css file.   These are the ones we don't
want to touch.  I've downloaded a few to have a look.
I thought the bootswatch.css is just some extra styling to get the
bootswatch themes (the different bootstrap.css files) to work with web2py.

I think we're good.

Maybe it could be contained in web2py.css, but it sounds like bootstrap
specific styling has been put in there.   Not a bad idea if someone does
not want to use bootstrap -keep the necessary web2py stuff and leave out
the bootstrap specifics.