Thanks David and Anthony:

1- I will reorder validtors for final example, most common ones first.

2- Good suggestion:
    I'll try to write  a web2pyslices, I like that site a lot as it can
offer
    more complete solutions than these discussions often do.

2- A validator?

*Question:*
Would it be worth considering an actual validator for username and
user-like fields.

*IS_LIKE_GOOGLE*
IS_LIKE_GOOGLE validator enforces a username policy similar to Google
Accounts (as of 2012),
min 6 - 30 characters, only letters (a-z) and numbers (0-9), and periods,
can't start or end with a period,
can't have consecutive periods, and of course can't exist in database.

Note: if an optional
IS_LIKE_GOOGLE(db, 'table.fieldname') - then any user created user type
field would be validated,

Cheers,
Today,
I'm going to work on "bad words" in username feature, this should complete
my example.

Rob