On 23 Aug 2012, at 8:39 AM, Anthony <abasta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Couple of things (including questions).
>
> 1. attributes defined in the Field() spec are lazy already, right?
>
> I guess not so much "lazy", but for the most part all that happens is they
> get added as attributes to the Field's self. There is a little logic in the
> constructor, though. I suppose we don't really need to make them much more
> lazy, but then I'm wondering about the use case for on_define.
>
> In the above example, the attributes could just as well be defined there; my
> intent was for attributes that required more logic, where attributes are
> being set conditionally and it's clumsy to construct different Field() calls
> to do it.
>
> OK, sounds reasonable. Do you have an example?

More later (I'm off to a meeting).

Looking at the new code, I see that Massimo and I had different ideas about the
definition of on_define. I think they both have merit, and I need to consider
the implications. Briefly, the new code patches up the table definition, which
will be used as usual in a lazy fashion.

My version defined a function to be called when the table was actually created
(later, lazily).