is the sky blue, really really blue ? those kind of questions really makes
me wonder.
What is "high volume of traffic" ? 1k concurrent requests ? 10GB/hour of
traffic ? many small requests? less requests but requesting a large chunk
of data? The data returned to the users will be the result of many tables
joined? questions like yours, to have back an answer given with a grain of
salt, is going to require a lot more details.
Anyway:
1. Database large: not a web2py problem, in fact, web2py is not a database
(:-P). Be sure your db engine (that is often the bottleneck in almost every
app) handles your traffic
2. have you tested your app with 10 users ? test it with 1000 and see if
you app is scalable. The way you code it makes it scalable, not the
framework. Again, web2py could handle 1k requests per minute, but if your
db is going to kneel down at 200 requests per minute, don't blame the
framework for being slow.
3. have you something (I mean, code) that runs faster on other frameworks
to have web2py to blame ?
4. Inspect your idea of app. If that's going to be an api with 1m
concurrent users, with no forms, no sessions, no auth, no model, probably
you'll find other frameworks faster than web2py. If it's going to require
all of those, or a generous subset, having your app in web2py saves you a
lot of time (and errors)

General advices working with web2py: reduce models, use lazy tables
(available in the last release), use session.forget() wisely, and a lot of
bunch of advices you can find in the book. Want some proofs? Some users in
this list have huge sites working on web2py. From what I can recall howesc
has web2py handling a site servicing 2.5m requests per day.