This is a discussion with no ends if you don't provide a complete app.
1. read your preferred manual/book/guide on how to tune your db engine
(whatever engine will you choose). Find out if it performs better with more
RAM, or faster disks, or more CPU, on what OS, etc. and plan your resources
accordingly
2. let's say you don't need session, you call session.forget() in your app
and all the related machinery in web2py will be disabled. This speeds up
web2py, but if you need sessions you can't turn them off, can you ? ^_^