@rif I have some suggestion

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/3t2kv.png

For the suggested [fields] buttom it can be done with a modal or popup, it
can loads a  <table style="display:none;" id="tablename_fields"> inside the
popup or modal, or if prefered it can retrieve this info via ajax.

To retrieve the info is easy,

for field in table.fields:
    print name.name, name.type, name.length, name.comment, name.label,
name.compute, name.represent, name.requires, name.required, name.unique,
name.readable, name.writable
*first_name string 128 None First name None None
<gluon.validators.IS_NOT_EMPTY object at 0x1f05210> False False True True*

So that info will be very important for developers and admins, also the
buttom can show up only if admin is logged in.

Let me know if you need some help, I am using this and I really think it
can be a replacement for appadmin.