I'm somewhat concerned about GlobalScript too. I am pretty wary of putting complex features in WebKit if it seems like they will be rejected by the standards process and become orphan WebKit-only technologies. Perhaps I am somewhat sensitive about this because it looks like the SQL Database is heading down that road, but it's too late now for us to drop it. My impression from WHATWG and from TPAC is that the web standards community and other browser implementors don't really buy into the value of this feature, so I think there's good odds we would end up in the orphan situation.

That's not to say GlobalScript is a bad feature on its own merits. In fact, a while back, in a meeting with some of the Gears folks before Chrome was publicly announced, I argued that we should have something like this (a shared object that all pages from a particular domain could access, where global state and code could live) *instead* of SharedWorker, because having a separate thread did not seem essential to the stated use cases. So I can see some plusses to the GlobalScript design. But now that SharedWorker is out there and has multiple implementations, it's much harder to make the case for GlobalScript. And it seems like people in the Web standards community, and in particular other browser vendors, are not sold.

I'm worried in particular that we'll end up in a situation with WebKit of sort of throwing darts at the wall and seeing what sticks, feature- wise. A scatter-shot approach is not so great, because it can become very hard to phase out the features that don't get wide traction, if even only a few sites end up depending on them, and even if their use is conditional.

Now, sometimes a new idea seems either so hugely valuable or so trivial and low-cost that we don't care if it ends up a WebKit-only feature. I'm not sure this is one of those cases.

Based on this, I agree with Sam's opinion that we should wait and see how workers (and in particular SharedWorker) play out before we take up this feature.

Regards,
Maciej