On Nov 30, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Jeremy Orlow wrote:

To be fair, app developers in general want to do everything synchronously but we (in standards land) have pushed back very hard because software research has shown that such interfaces are very difficult (if not impossible) to parallelize. That's why SharedScript sidesteps the issue by saying there should be no parallelism. Which really is a step backwards.

Now that I've heard more about it, it seems like SharedScript gives the worst of both worlds by encouraging synchronous coding but potentially still resulting in unexpected parallelism. It seems like for correctness you'd have to write nearly the exact same multiple- instance anti-collision code in your SharedScript that you would in each main document if you didn't have SharedScript.

Regards,
Maciej