On Jun 7, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Darin Adler wrote:

> I think the “make some things non-const” part of this would be the first part
> to put up for review and land.

To expand on Darin's remark in two different ways:

1) We definitely have consensus to fix the broken non-logically-const accessors
by making them non-const; consensus on also adding const accessors is less
clear.
2) We like to do things incrementally and fixing bad use of const before adding
good use of const seems like this is a logical way to split the work and make
it less of a megapatch.

(As a separate technical comment, I think it may be better to have the const
versions call non-const versions (casting away const on "this"), because the
non-const versions are likely to be called much more often so it's helpful to
have fewer levels of indirection to wade through before seeing the real code,
e.g. when inspecting code or debugging.)

Regards,
Maciej