On 3/15/2013 6:23 PM, Kenneth Russell wrote:

    Is there a nontrivial amount of content depending on it? That
    would be more relevant precedent than merely being in the code base.

How would one determine that? Searching for "getcontext webgl alpha false" returns many web pages on the topic, but doesn't seem to find JavaScript source code.

For one high-profile example, Angry Birds HD for the browser uses this flag; it uncovered a bug in the Mac OS X OpenGL driver on AMD GPUs.

Setting alpha: false is generally recommended for some extra performance with WebGL. There was some discussion even about whether it should be the default, but we ended up going with alpha: true for compat with canvas 2d and for least surprise when mixing it with web content ("Why doesn't my CSS background show up on WebGL canvas elements?"). So I'd imagine there's a lot of content out there that sets alpha: false.

     - Vlad