On Sep 4, 2006, at 3:00 PM, M. Blanc wrote:

On 4 Sep 2006, at 17:28, Marc Oesch wrote:

And I wanted to ask if anybody is actually thinking about a
replacement for WOBuilder or already working on it ?

I'm all for having babies –I personally had three, though my wife helped a lot– so I can tell you from experience that the very first thing we are going to need is for the father to release a little something. Now, if the father is Apple, that something must be «the standards and formats that WO depends upon» that Daryl mentioned. For good or for bad, such release can happen at anytime from now throughout the useful life of the Leopard... so I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

Until then I would suggest we start compiling a Community Wishlist of features we'd like the baby to have. Yep, real babies are not affected by wishlists, but software projects certainly are. The idea here is that a very powerful graphical modeler we can even affect So, if I could only have three wishes, they may well could be these:

#1• For the whole project to get a code name soon.
Knowing that nothing is final at this stage, almost any name is fine with me as long as we settle for something before everyone starts calling it "The Baby". My vote is for WonderLips.

I don't know that I agree with the "Whole Project" concept. Wonder and WOLips are separate and not connected now. I think it would be better to maintain that. It probably also looks more active, if there is more than one project for WebObjects.

I do like Eclipstick as a name.

Chuck

#2• For the BVM –that's the Baby's View Modeler that would substitute WOBuilder– I'd like I could start working from a high resolution graphic or SVG design made by a professional designer. I would then go along marking areas on the picture and saying 'this is going to be a WOForm; these, WOButtons', so that the corresponding web server resources would be automatically created (and properly linked) at different resolutions for different CSS "media" tags, browsing device capabilities, user preferences, etc.

[ I see no reason for constraining the design to be 2D-flat or even static, but I suspect that's too big a jump right now for Eclipse. For one, Eclipse is just an evolution of the Smalltalk browser, and when some well known Smalltalk guys felt ready to go to higher dimensions they didn't rendered the 3D world inside the browser, but the browser inside the 3D world. ]

#3• In the BVM too I'd like to be able to select a flow, or more than one, of page portions[†] that would be presented in some meaningful sequence to the client browser[‡].

  [†] something like the flowing you can do in Acrobat,
  [‡] something like a wap stack.

I know I'm showing my bias thinking again on small real state devices, but if it is awkward to develop for three different desktop browsers, developing for a myriad of small devices is plain crazy. All this should be automated from the beginning to the extreme... and the extreme could be some clever D2W presentational rules that would even take into account if the presentation flow is going to be managed from the server or from the client (some small devices are really stupid). On second thought, something similar could prove useful too for designing whatever substitutes ajax in the future.

#4• Yeah, there is a #4, I like round numbers. My last wish is just that this thread ends up with 2^64 wishes. Thanks for helping.

PS:
>Then you could start thinking about the name.

The proposed names - Wonderlips, Wonderland, Wonderlust... - were
supposed to be for the whole suite of tools and generate attention

That was my understanding too.

with a sticky name, but I agree the babies have to be born first :)

A sticky name for the WonderLips Graphical Editor could be Eclipstick....this suggestion is derived from a post from Simon Mclean a few days ago, but it could sound funnier than I expect since English is but my second language.

Cheers
--mbj