Apparently EOF considers even subtraction to be a database specific task, and I guess the thought is that somehow this ruins database independence.
It's not that it "somehow" ruins it, it just "does" ruin it. EOF is not just database vendor independent, it's literally datastore independent. EOQualifiers provide an abstraction on the concept of a query language. For instance, I'm working on JavaMailAdaptor right now, which is an EOF adaptor on top of an arbitrary JavaMail store. You can see how embedding straight SQL into a qualifier could be problematic in that kind of scenario.

ms