On 05/07/2007, at 5:32 PM, Jean Pierre Malrieu wrote:

This post ought to be sent to WO-talk, but I can't post there right now.

A lot of people say that because Apple is using WO internally, we need not worry about WO death. I agree with that, but I am starting to wonder whether Apple using WO is a good thing for WO...

If Apple had chosen another technology for iTunes store, the Apple Store and .mac, WO would no longer be a matter of competitive advantage for Apple and therefore, Apple could open source it.

WO would have evolved much faster if Apple was not using it. What is the reason for sticking with apache 1.3 and java 1.4 for so long if not Apple internal apps? Isn't WO evolving slowly because Apple needs to keep it compatible with old code it uses in its internal applications, and old deployment platforms?

What prevent Apple from publishing clear roadmaps for WO? The fact that the future of the product depends on Apple's internal needs, which can vary a lot, and that Apple does not want to disclose.

Overall, I am not sure that Apple using WO internally is a very good thing for WO.

All conjecture/speculation but either way... what's the purpose of this email thread?

with regards,
--

Lachlan Deck