Chuck,

It indeed worked correctly in another user account. Like the OS X hint you provided suggests, the problem is indeed related to the Safari cache folder. I checked it in the shell, and it was empty, so I didn't think anything could be going on there. It was, however, flagged as locked. I unlocked the folder, and it works perfectly now. Bizarre...

Thanks much,
Clark