Am 27.10.2007 um 04:18 schrieb Art Isbell:

[...]

<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://www.foo.com/bar.css"; type="text/css" charset="utf-8" />

but I could not rewrite a script tag with no contents as:

<script src="http://www.foo.com/bar.js"; type="text/ javascript" charset="utf-8" /> <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"> var searchSection = 'support'; var searchCountry = 'us';
        </script>

The error on the second script statement: <script> start tag is not found.

Instead, I had to use this format:

<script src="http://www.foo.com/bar.js"; type="text/ javascript" charset="utf-8"></script> <script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8"> var searchSection = 'support'; var searchCountry = 'us';
        </script>

This smells like a Component Editor bug, but what do I know?

For what I know the script tag is valid only with a closing tag <script ...></script> even when there is no content in between.

Also, the use of Java generics in the API declarations in the WO 5.4 frameworks may generate lots of warnings in your custom WO 5.3 code. I like to eliminate all warnings, but to do so, one must try to understand Java generics. Be prepared to be flummoxed. To be backward compatible with pre-generics Java, compromises in the generics implementation had to be made. These compromises make eliminating these compiler warnings by changing one's code difficult in some cases. Java 1.5 has added the '@SuppressWarnings ("unchecked")' directive to tell the compiler to shut the &*^% up. You should probably get familiar with the various @SuppressWarnings directives if you want to eliminate compiler warnings when all else fails.

Generics are quite valuable and helps improve your code to prevent false assignments. I already changed my whole code to use generics as eclipse did list warnings for missing them in the code (don't know any more what I changed but they appeared about a month ago). That's one of the features of WO 5.4 that I anticipate most.

I hope to survive the Xcode -> Eclipse and WO 5.3 -> 5.4 migration pain in one big lump rather than stringing it out over two successive migrations. I think I see a light at the end of the tunnnel, but maybe it's just a huge locomotive heading my way.

Good luck ;-) you won't regret it.

jw

Aloha,
Art