On 15/02/2008, at 1:23 AM, Simon McLean wrote:

If I were in your shoes I would definitely look at Openbase and MySQL, but also Frontbase and Postgres which both seem to have quite fan base. I don't think you can go far wrong with any of them.

Yep.

Take note: if you're deployment environment has been set up with the (mistaken) choice of non-GMT databases AND/OR your application's default timezone is not GMT: there's a bug in MySQL's jconnector at the moment to do with timestamp writing. See the following (which is apparently due for the 5.1.6 release)
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=15604

The work-around I've found to work well, however, is to use the following combination of jdbc params (substitute what's relevant for your Timezone): ...? autoReconnect=true&zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull&useGmtMillisForDat etimes=true&useTimezone=true&serverTimezone=Australia/Sydney

Also ensure your boxes zoneinfo is up to date (but that's relevant for the system as a whole... including your jars)

with regards,
--

Lachlan Deck