Hi all,

In the "[slightly OT] data modeling question" there is some talk of drawbacks of inheritance, specifically of vertical inheritance... Since I am currently contemplating implementing a reasonably complex system, and have thought of using vertical inheritance, this has got me worried. So, what's the deal???

My situation: a structure of over 10 entities (15ish), inheritance up to 4 levels in depth. The amount of records per entity will be quite small (ranging from 5 - maybe 30), so I do not worry about performance. Many operations will be defined on the topmost entity. Relationships will almost always relate to the topmost entity, which will be abstract. I might want to define additional subentities in the future. Subentities will have a sufficient amount of their own properties to discourage me from single table inheritance. Horizontal might do, I do not think I will be changing the existing structure once made.

I've never done inheritance till now. Am I going to commit suicide over this?