You might want to check for suicide exclusions in your life insurance policy. :-) David Avendasora was using Vertical with JC. He stopped. Maybe he can provide some pointers. My advice would be to ignore that "Subentities will have a sufficient amount of their own properties" and use Single Table. Or, failing that, Horizontal. Vertical is the least efficient and the least used hence has a higher probability of bugs.
I would recommend AGAINST horizontal here -- You have 10 entities in your hierarchy, which means 10 fetches every time you need to fault an object of the root entity. I second Chuck on using single table. Yes, your database is uglier, and you lose some of the benefits of database not-null constraints, but this is really more of an issue if other apps are using your database. For us, it's almost never the case .. our WO apps get exclusive access to the dbs generally, so as Chuck as said, the database is an implementation detail. I let EOF worry about the fact that it has a lot of columns.

There ARE people using vertical, but I only know of a handful.

ms