There are a number of issues with prefetching relationships that relate back to an abstract entity. I haven't tried this in a VERY long time, so if I were you, I'd experiment with this before moving ahead with a concrete plan.

Bottom line, if you don't need other people to access these tables, single table inheritance is the most likely way to go.
I just fixed this in Wonder a couple days ago if you use ERXRecursiveBatchFetching to prefetch (or prefetching with a batching display group) ... I wrote about it on http://mschrag.blogspot.com/2008/05/eoglobalids-for-abstract-entities.html . If you use the regular prefetching relationship keypath on a fetch spec, though, it will go through the old path still.
... that post is actually just about the batching display group part, but it turns out it's an underlying bug (or at least it appears to be a bug) in relationship batch fetching in EOF. After this post, I fixed the equivalent issue in ERXRecursiveBatchFetch

ms