On May 30, 2008, at 4:14 PM, Alan Ward wrote:

On May 30, 2008, at 3:43 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

I'm sure Chuck will correct me if I'm wrong but my recollection is that a flattened to-many will always trip on an insert or update.

Hmm. What you mean by "trip on"?
Pretty sure Alan is saying that updating or inserting an EO with a flattened to-many fires the fault of the to-many. This would be a really bad bug if it's true. Writing a test case now ...
This appears to be OK for the test I'm doing in 5.3 with Wonder. Maybe this was a bug in an older version of WO/EOF or maybe Wonder fixes this and I just never knew?

I have Person and Company and a many-to-many join between them. I added 100 of each and made each person related to each of the 100 companies. I restarted to get a fresh snapshot cache, and if i fetch a person, change the person's name and resave, I get the single query to fetch the EO and a single query to perform the update and no fetches against Company.
Chuck is suggesting to me in AIM that maybe Alan meant that if you add or update the flattened to many relationship, it will fire a fault, which is definitely true. But that would be the same if it was just a one-to-many, or a non-flattened relationship. I'm wondering if maybe Alan's referring to some behavior in 5.2 where maybe his concern is true but maybe has since been fixed?

No, I meant an insert or update that didn't modify the relationship. It sounds like your test shows my recollection to be wrong with recent WO versions. I'm pretty sure it was true at some point in the past though.

Hang on a minute.... what was flattened in your model?

Alan

Alan

ms