On May 30, 2008, at 5:19 PM, Mike Schrag wrote:

So, my memory is still not 100% clear on this one but I think we're honing in on why I don't flatten.... If the relationship is not flattened then I have the option of not using addObjectToBothSides if I know I am doing an insert and then discarding the EO (i.e. I don't care about keeping my object graph consistent right now). It means I can avoid faulting in a whole slew of stuff when I know I don't need it.
This seems right to me, yeah. That said, my standard approach is that if the relationship is too big to fault, then I don't model it.

Same here.

It's VERY rare that I have the relationship modeled but don't want the graph in sync.

We actually do it a lot. If you think about our system there are some apps that spend 99% of their time inserting data (think of when something is sold) and there are others that spend 99% of their time reading that same data (think of when something is invoiced). Those first class of apps are not going to traverse the object graph after the insert and need to be very fast. The other class of apps will fetch and then traverse the object graph and are not anywhere near as performance sensitive.

This same topic came up in the discussions of automatic inverse relationship updating in Wonder, actually.

You can probably guess how I feel about that ;-) I never model inverse relationships until I need them
(and even then I sometimes don't)

Alan

ms