Hi

On 13 juin 09, at 00:07, Yung-Luen Lan wrote:

Hi,

*** WARNING: I  wasn't able to be at WWDC or WOWODC this year so I'm
not sure the following is correct. ***

In fact. Would you have been at WOWODC, you would have notived that, obviously:

- Apple's own usage of WO is just increasing constantly, one critical project after the other; - WO is evolving more and faster than ever, both from the Apple's teams effort and the community support, not even talking of a very special framework that has been demoed (you probably heard about); not talking about all the Wonder/WOLips magic stuff; - WO tools have never been that productive, easy to use, and well supported; - The overall level of the WOWODC sessions was just incredible (thanks to the speakers and organization) : after 12 years of WebObjects and other smart technologies, I can tell you the WO magic is actually there again, for long;
        - WOWODC has now 2 editions - West and East;
- Do you see anything on the market that is compelling to WO, both in its current and forthcoming incarnations? None, though there are brilliant people out there working on smart ideas (rails, ...). It is not some kind of WO advocacy from me, it is a fact you can verify by yoursef.

Don't listen too much to the band, but check facts instead, then make your own conclusions about the future. And it is brilliant, dispite the marketing disappointments we are used to for years.

Finally: order the WOWODC dvds as soon as they are available, don't speculate, talk to other WO developers and users, gain market shares, enjoy.

Cheers
Christian Trotobas

According to the website:
http://mac.topnewsdigest.com/uncategorized/conflicting-information-about-webobjects/

"Mac OS X 10.6 server no longer support WebObjects."

I'm not to talk about NDA-things here. Instead, I'm here to discuss
what the above statement mean to us.

Since Apple itself is still using WebObjects for MobileMe, iTunes
store, AppleStore website, RADAR, devforums and many other system,
it's difficult to totally replace all the webobjects app to other
technology at once.

However, I speculate that Apple will put less and less effort on
WebObjects year by year. Although WO 5.5/5.6 is coming, I personally
do not expect any other good news from Apple. First deprecates
wo-tools, then discontinue the support of WO in the next release of
their OS. Apple's attitute is obvious––I even talked to an Apple
employee at WWDC08 and he said, "You are using WebObjects? I thought
only europeans use that." Of course it's just kidding in a very
private conversation, but it more or less shows that not all Apple
employees are satisfying with WebObjects, and I guess their percentage
isn't low. It seems that this year we have nothing metioned on the
WWDC IT session page. No lab either.

Even Apple's current wo apps were not good testimonials for WO. Some
developers think that Apple's web apps are infamous as
20-century-style and feel frustrated when using them. (It's a long
story about how Apple Online Store screw its customer's names with
iPhone dev program) Well, it may not be the problem of the essence of
WO at all, but the lack of documentation/support is.

Maybe why WebObjects is still in Apple is because (1) Apple has no
other web technology, (2) Pierre try hard to defending and promoting
WO, and (3) both. I predict the future of WebObjects will be totally
running from community.

Could you share some thoughts with me? Thanks.

Regards,
yllan

This email sent to troto...@mac.com