Hi Alan,

Sorry if that's taken in the wrong way.  Obviously, Apple has much more
sophisticated ways to invest than I do.

But at my bank you get like 0.5% on CDs.  If you go to a mainland bank you get
like 1.5% on CDs.

A quick Google search turns up the following:

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/inflation/current-inflation-rates/

2008 inflation rate was 3.8%.

There are a lot of indicators that the dollar is depreciating, the price of
gold, the dollars value verse the Euro, the Yen.  So, I don't think many people
are arguing that cash is a good position right now.

But I did say in my original email Apple can invest it too and I'm sure you
guys have a whole team of really bright people who are responsible for that.  I
was just making the point that if you are a highly profitable business like
Apple why wouldn't you spend pre-tax dollars on a product like WO?

Best regards,

Johnny

On Nov 24, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Alan Ward wrote:

> Um, Johnny... I'm an Apple shareholder too and I'm pretty sure that Apple's
> ROI on cash is above the current rate of inflation.
> Can you point me to numbers that support your assertion that hoarding cash
> results in losing money?
>
> I'm just curious... I mean, you throw that out there like it's a fact.
>
> Alan
>
> On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Johnny Miller wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> I'm not arguing that at all.  I'm just saying I don't understand the logic
>> they are using.
>>
>> Apple has tons of cash.  So they can use that cash to buy companies, spend
>> it on R & D, invest it or horde it/pay taxes.
>>
>> Apple doesn't make many major acquisitions.  So, if they horde it in the
>> bank then it depreciates in value because interest rates are so low and
>> inflation is high.  Or they can give it to Uncle Sam in the form of taxes.
>>
>> Why not spend a little bit a money on WO?  They are going to lose the money
>> anyway.
>>
>> Johnny
>> An AAPL Shareholder
>>
>> On Nov 24, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Martin Perez Barreiro wrote:
>>
>>> Apple listens to Apple. Im not sure how much they care about WO developers
>>> right now, come on! just looking at wwdc talks you can get the feeling wo
>>> is not an important thin for Apple right now (at least wo developers
>>> outside Apple labs).
>>>
>>> My 2 cents.
>>>
>>> kind regards,
>>> Martin.
>>>

>>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 7:46 PM, Johnny Miller <jlmil...@kahalawai.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> I agree that it's not smart to wait for Apple and I for one can continue
>>> using WO by relying on the aid of the Wonder community.
>>>
>>> But HP and IBM are 100 billion dollar + companies.  At some point to grow
>>> revenue Apple is going to have to go back into the enterprise.
>>>
>>> I just don't understand why Apple doesn't treat WO as a loss leader until
>>> they are ready to diversify from consumer related products.  They could
>>> have a great story in a vibrant community with lots of different kinds of
>>> apps deployed.
>>>
>>> Just my 2 cents.
>>>
>>> Johnny

>>> Johnny Miller