On 25/11/2009, at 11:32 AM, Gaastra Dennis - WO Lists wrote:

>>> Not really, IMHO, Apple is now recognizing the great contributions from the
>>> community, which might be better than their own. Eclipse/EM seemed an
>>> obvious progression; so why stand in the way?
>>
>> You're just not providing a true picture of history. Xcode was the
>> predominant dev tools for WO until Apple dropped it... and then the masses
>> looked for an alternative and got behind WOLips. Sure, the WOLips tools were
>> around beforehand but were in no way in a ready state for the masses. That's
>> all since changed...
>>
>> with regards,
>> --
>>
>> Lachlan Deck
>
> Talking about history; we have been using WebObjects since 1998.

Cool.

> The point is that Apple did not want to stand in the way of something better
> suited.

lol... because as a company they're just generous at heart when it comes to
setting their technology free ;-)

> In their opinion, at that time, the WOLips tools WERE ready for the masses,

Now you've either got this from the horses mouth so to speak or are making it
up. The former makes no sense as it is simply not true (Entity Modeler for
exmaple was no where near ready ... as Mike worked hard on it *after* the
announcement of Apple dropping theirs). Sure it was showing signs of being the
way to go for the future ... that would be closer to making sense.

> as Apple had already been using them internally for a couple of years prior
> to that.

That little thing called the Java-bridge doing its disappearing act had some
influence on their decision too... :-)

Look, I hope they do get around to releasing 5.5, 5.6 etc but there's no
denying that there's some internal politics that's slowing things down
considerably.

with regards,
--

Lachlan Deck