On 4. Dec. 2009, at 11:16 , Kieran Kelleher wrote:

> So, to sum up the pros and cons we heard in the discussion:
>
> FOR MySQL
> - Free
> - Easy to setup and configure
> - Clustering engine

I have read a bit about this part as I'm always curious about synchronous
multi-master clustering support in DBs. From Are people here referring to NDB
Cluster? From reading the white papers I was kind of wondering how this could
in any way be used in the typical (outside big corporations) requirements. Is
somebody here actually using this?

And I'm not talking about asynchronous replication, I'm talking about real
multi-master cluster with guaranteed integrity.

> - Easy reliable replication

Hmmm. Way back when we used it, it wasn't reliable. Every now and then slaves
had to be completely rebuild. And it also wasn't straightforward as soon as
something wasn't as expected.

> AGAINST MySQL
> - Lack of deferred constraints
> - Lack of transactional DDL (roll back failing migrations for example). As
> Mike pointed out, neither does Oracle, so not alone there.

All toys ... :-P

Take care,