On 4. Dec. 2009, at 18:23 , Kieran Kelleher wrote:

>> Hmmm. Way back when we used it, it wasn't reliable. Every now and then
>> slaves had to be completely rebuild. And it also wasn't straightforward as
>> soon as something wasn't as expected.
>
> In 4.1 there was the occasional hiccup where you had to either (1) rebuild,
> or (2) check the actual statement which usually was an insert duplicate, and
> if that statement had already been executed, then just do a single statement
> skip and off it went again. However, I have not had a single slave hiccup
> since all the slaves were upgraded to 5.0.xx.

I stopped using it before 5.x. But if I recall correctly, we had the issues
with 4.1.

> In any case, if you had a at least 2 slaves, then the easy solution *without*
> doing a full dump of the master and reconfiguring was to stop a good working
> slave, literally copy the data directory and replace the one on the bad
> machine and start both up again. However, not a problem for me since 5.0.xx.
> There was one setting needed to ensure you could do this though (IIRC the
> slave name - used for replication log names - had to be the same or sth like
> that, but this again was just a property setting in my.cnf)

Right. Issue was - I was not very comfortable in MySQL and we had only one
slave ...

> Guido, I do appreciate your input here, especially since you have the
> advantage of a unique perspective

Na, not really. The times I worked with MySQL was when I was at a three person
company back in good old Europe. Nevertheless, we did some whacky things back
than that were real fun! ;-) Like trying to beat the hell out of a PG instance
with raw copy import every 6 hours which hit the incredible speed of about 17k
simple rows per second on my laptop (if I recall that correctly, I don't recall
the numbers on the Xserve - I think we never really tested it, as the task
always completed in under a minute, which was a bit better then the 15 minutes
in the requirements) ...

Take care,