Hello Chuck and others, many thanks.
Here's my current status, I would be surprised to find out that it's at least
close to "as good as it gets", but that's where I stand now.
**********************
After my 1st abortive attempt at upgrading to FB5 from 4 I succeeded thanks to
Chuck's help with the following two steps from and to FrontBase.

        WRITE ALL OUTPUT(DIR = '/.../financial/', TYPE = 'FrontBase', CONTENT =
TRUE);
        script /.../financial/schema.sql;

Because of crash I lost the test db which allowed me to generate a better suite
from a more active account, grin.

I re-ran the profiling and didn't notice any speed increase, sigh.

I also don't see any of the <select *> type problems in the output.

 I changed 2 WODisplayGroups from having no specified batch count, i.e.
infinity? to 40 and 200 respectively. Actual count was 31 and 5611 as seen
below, I didn't notice any change in the time.

and some more

?

I await the much faster pipe three weeks from now.