higment.org> <b5155ad1-7294-4fb2-99e7-8f1e3f109...@codeferous.com>
<771d2e37-d65e-42f6-ac59-1db2b82f7...@oeinc.com>
<b83e9c23-4b53-4565-9b84-8a8b94c8e...@codeferous.com>
To: "Webobjects-dev@lists.apple.com Development"
<webobjects-dev@lists.apple.com>

I have a few Cloud Server OS X now.

http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/mac-hosting.aspx?ci=18037

Is cheap, works great and it is OS X, easy to use and install.

On 2010/11/27, at 17:36, David LeBer wrote:

> On 2010-11-26, at 11:12 PM, Jesse Tayler wrote:
>

>> On Nov 26, 2010, at 3:50 PM, David LeBer wrote:
>>
>>> Nothing to chip in on EC2.
>>>
>>> But we've are really enjoying working with linodes from Linode.com.
>>
>> really?
>>
>> I'm of no particular preference, and certainly could switch, but I saw the
>> wolastic image and it just seemed reliable.
>>
>> I can't imagine how anyone could complete a finished app deployment without
>> configuring the apache right? Am I to setup another OS image for apache and
>> website stuff? use wolastic image as just the app engine?
>>
>> Or, maybe I should ask how one might one get a new server setup on
>> linode.com? If its easier, I'm up for it - now's the time, as I'm just
>> starting the new system!
>
> Well with linode you get a vanilla Linux distribution of your choice (we use
> Ubuntu 10.4 LTS) so you are responsible for setting it up yourself.
>
> Given that we deploy our apps with all frameworks embedded, the setup is
> really just getting Java, Apache, and whatever db we need installed. That's
> all documented, so I've not found it terribly arduous. Linode also offers a
> "StackScript" system that allows you to create (or chose from a selection of
> pre-existing) scripts that you can apply to your nodes when they are created.
> So once you know what you need to do to create a new WO app host node you can
> automate the process.
>
> The one caveat for using any VPS service is that they are often anemic when
> it comes to RAM and storage.
>
> The route we've adopted is to create dedicated nodes for our services (i:e:
> nodes that are sized for the app instances, another sized for the db, another
> to run JavaMonitor, etc). VPSs work well if you scale horizontally (add
> additional nodes to handle growth rather than expanding the individual node
> sizes).
>
> In addition any apps that have a heavy requirement on resource vending
> (images, media files etc) we've re-engineered to outsource that to S3.
>
> My recommendation is to analyze what you expect your app's resource and
> bandwidth usage is going to be, what you expect the growth curve to look
> like. Then use those numbers to calculate the costs based on EC2 + EBS,
> Linode/SliceHost, or colocation to determine which is going to fit your needs
> better. As always TANSTAAFL applies.
>
> ;david
>
> --
> David LeBer
> Codeferous Software
> 'co-def-er-ous' adj. Literally 'code-bearing'
> site:         http://codeferous.com
> blog:         http://davidleber.net
> profile:      http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidleber
> twitter:      http://twitter.com/rebeld
> --
> Toronto Area Cocoa / WebObjects developers group:
> http://tacow.org

> This email sent to k...@ksroom.com

Thank you

K's ROOM      (ISHIMOTO Ken)
[E-Mail]  <k...@ksroom.com>
[iChat:]   <ibase_...@mac.com>
[HP]          http://www.ksroom.com/
This e-mail has not been scanned for viruses because it was written on an Mac,
and there are NO Viruses on an Apple Computer.
For further information visit http://www.apple.com