So which version of PostgreSQL have you got?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/datatype-datetime.html

That says: "Note: Prior to PostgreSQL 7.3, writing just timestamp was equivalent to timestamp with time zone. This was changed for SQL compliance."

And later it gives examples of valid time zone input. The form 'XYZ' appears to be supported, but not 'Abc/XYZ'.