I agree with Jesse's sentiment, but just to fill in some blanks...

On 24/02/2011, at 1:32 AM, Jesse Tayler wrote:

> do NOT use WOLastic

WOlastic _seems_ to be abandonware.  It doesn't look like their website has
been updated since mid-2009, and their AMIs seem to be of a similar vintage.
WOlastic may work just fine (I have no idea, I've never tried it), but if I was
starting from scratch I would prefer to use something that hasn't been
obviously abandoned.

(Is anyone from Ubermind on the list?  It would be useful to get confirmation
that WOlastic has, indeed, been abandoned.)

> check out simon's install scripts

Simon McLean has put up some scripts you can use as a starting point for
automating your own deployments to EC2:

http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WO/Automated+Deployment+on+Amazon+EC2

I haven't used those particular scripts, but eyeballing them they _seem_ to be
dependent on the pre-rolled appserver AMIs, also supplied by Simon.

(Simon, can you confirm that?  Is the numbered list of "steps taken" at the top
out of sync with what's actually happening with launch.sh?  launch.sh requires
an AMI ID, but it's not clear whether the example used (ami-38c33651) is a
pristine Amazon Linux image (that ID doesn't match anything current) or one of
your pre-rolled appserver images.  It looks like helloworld-userdata.sh is
doing some of the work that used to be done in wo-install.sh, is that right?
Actually, I see that wo-install.sh is still being fetched and run.  In that
case, it's not clear to me what that particular image is, and why it would be
listed as a "Public WO AMI" on the other wiki page.)

--
Paul.

http://logicsquad.net/