On Jul 18, 2012, at 6:36 AM, Pascal Robert wrote:

> Le 2012-07-18 à 09:22, G Brown a écrit :
>
>> Do you mean:
>>
>> 1. A User Manual for all wocommunity, and
>>
>> 2. A Developer Manual for wocommunity?
>
> No, I mean one wiki space for people who contribute to Wonder and WOLips (and
> other related tools), and another space with everything else (e.g. 95% of the
> content of the current wiki).
>
> So maybe "Documentation", and "Community" would be better names.

I have to say that I find the "spaces" in the wiki to be more of a hindrance
than a help. It seems to encourage the kind of segmentation of attention that
will lead to pages being under-maintained.

For example, look at the WebObjects Home page
(http://wiki.wocommunity.org/display/WO/Home) and the Wonder Home page
(http://wiki.wocommunity.org/display/WONDER/Home) and I think you can see what
I mean. The WebObjects page is a mess.

One wonders why we even have a WebObjects space, since we should not be trying
to document WebObjects. We should be trying to document WebObjects as it can be
used with Wonder and nothing else.

Something occurred to me and I wonder if this would be helpful. Documenting, in
one place, the installation and configuration of the WebObjects and the
installation and configuration of Wonder and the installation and configuration
of the tools is a difficult thing. There is a lot to talk about here.

Can we clearly separate these into separate pages?

        - Prerequisites for Use of Frameworks for Platform X
        - Installation and Configuration of Frameworks on Platform X
        - Prerequisites for Use of Tools for Platform X
        - Installation and Configuration of Tools on Platform X

I always look to the Mozila build pages
(https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Build_Documentation) as an example of this
kind of documentation when it is done right. And we do not come close yet.

Frameworks would include Wonder, WebObjects, JDBC and not databases.

Tools would include java, eclipse, ant, maven, and git.

Platforms would be Mac OS X (10.6+) , Windows (versions?) and Linux distros.

It also seems that if we had a turnkey framework installation and configuration
script for AWS, we could actually create something which can be expected to
work, period, and which could be tested automatically. On other platforms, all
we can reasonably say is that we will try to keep it working and that there
will be a discoverable place to document issues with installations and such.

Anyway, just thinking.

- ray