My understanding is that a "No instance available" comes from your Apache's
WOAdaptor. Therefore it shouldn't basically have nothing to do with your VPN or
slow internet connection.

Daniele has already suggested using a ERXLongResponsePage.

Sometimes the problem is not a single database operation, but a WORepetition
iterating over a huge array of objects and then - inside the WORepetition -
calling another db/eof-intensive method on each item, like e.g.
'item.littleDatabaseWork()'.

While each 'item.littleDatabaseWork()' may only take some ms, iterating over a
lot of items may be too much. In this case, 'pagination' of large arrays may be
the best solution. Use a ERXDisplayGroup in this case.

C.U.CW
--
The three great virtues of a programmer are Laziness, Impatience and Hubris.
(Randal Schwartz)