>From Docs:

Attachments must be an iterable and each attachment can be either a
filename or a file object or a dictionary with filename, content and
optionally content_type keys.

This just means that you have to tell it what file to send, so yes
you'll have to handle uploading the file first.

after you have the file uploaded, something like this should work:
attachments = ['/path/to/file']