On Oct 3, 2011, at 1:46 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2011-10-03 09:29, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
>> On 2011/09/30 23:40, stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie answered Phillip
>> Hallam-Baker:

>> If you use what RFC 2396 calles the 'opaque' syntax (e.g. no slashes at
>> all; in RFC 3986, I think slashes would even be allowed if they don't
>> appear directly after the first ':'), then you can define an URI scheme
>> without including host-like stuff and you don't have to use "urn:" as a
>> prefix.
>>
>>> Yep. We have use-cases for that. Note though that the authority
>>> part is optional, so a fairly bare digest is quite possible and
>>> would look like ni:///sha256:NDVmZTMzOGVkY2Jj...
>>
>> The triple slash at the beginning is a bad idea. There should only be
>> slashes if the scheme conforms to the generic syntax (i.e. a double
>> slash, something like a host name, and then slashes for something
>> pathlike). Just ni:sha256:NDVmZTMzOGVkY2Jj... is way better.
>
> Also keep in mind that if you use "/" for a different purpose than hierarchy,
> surprising things will happen when relative references are resolved. It's
> good to avoid them in this case.

That's silly for this case. The proposed URL scheme has no hierarchy scheme,
nor is it even resolvable because there is no host. I know Phill has already
responded that he intends to use an encoding that changes Base64 for the reason
you give; I believe that will lead to likely lack of interop due to complexity.

--Paul Hoffman