On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:
> On Oct 3, 2011, at 9:22 AM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>
>> URLs are used in cases where hierarchy is assumed.
>
> I didn't see such use cases in your draft, nor in Stephen's. Maybe you'll put
> them in your next proposal.

As Julian correctly pointed out, a generic URI will be used in
situations where the application will (correctly) assume that anything
in URI syntax that has a slash character in it will be hierarchical.

Thus a URI scheme that does not intend to indicate hierarchy MUST NOT
include a slash character in that part of the identifier.

Plus it is essential to ensure that anything that is to fit in a URI
slot is compatible with code for making entries URI-safe. A URI that
contains a + character is likely to end up being mangled.

This issue has already been litigated in the IETF and the result of
that consensus was RFC 4648. I see no reason to re-open that
discussion in case someone does not bother to test their code.

--
Website: http://hallambaker.com/